My holiday shopping nightmare

I will confess, I have sinned. I went to the shopping mall today and bought my wife a Christmas gift AT RETAIL PRICE. But let’s start from the beginning.

With the job and blogging I have been very busy this month and could barely find the time for things like buying gifts, especially for the closest ones. ;-) Today was my day off at work and I took the opportunity to do some last minute shopping.

I like how Scott Adams puts it on his Dilbert blog when comparing attitude to shopping by different genders:

Shopping is…
a. A fascinating experience that is even better when shared.
b. A method used to extract secrets from terrorists.

This totally resonates with my own opinion and today was a very good day to reaffirm it.

So I went to the mall after lunch and spent there a good part of the day. Everything started with the half an hour which took me to find a parking spot. After that things only got worse. The people were rude, sales assistants ignored me, network went down at the checkout (thanks cash is still in use), and on my way out I missed the left green arrow two times because fire and police were heading my way and overrode the street signal.

At the end I made myself a promise to be more organized next year and do my holiday shopping early. From the same blog:

At about this time every year I have two lists that I carry everywhere. One is my Christmas shopping list. The other is the list of people I need to kill because they finished all of their shopping in October.

Scott, I want to be in that list!!!

7 Responses to “My holiday shopping nightmare”

1. 1 Alison Dec 22nd, 2006 at 9:05 pm

Gotta love the irony, writing about shopping takes up so much time that you don’t have time to shop! Hope your wife likes her present after all the trouble you had getting it :-)

2. 2 errno Dec 22nd, 2006 at 10:23 pm

boo… “at RETAIL price” :)

3. 3 Bonnie Erickson Dec 28th, 2006 at 9:12 pm

Didn’t you break a second “man law” rule by going Christmas shopping BEFORE Christmas Eve?

4. 4 Yan Jan 3rd, 2007 at 1:35 pm

The gift was a watch that she didn’t like. I had to take it back to the store so no laws broken and crime committed. :-)

I did the usual thing after that — went with her to a B&M store to shop for a new watch and once she found what she liked I ordered it online.

The result: over 50% savings!

5. 5 Lana Feb 13th, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Yan, Thank you for the gift and for the effort that you made. Now I know the whole story :-)

6. 6 Yan Feb 13th, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Oops, my cover is blown. My wife is now reading my blog. Did you tell her? ;-)

7. 7 Beverly Feb 15th, 2007 at 12:54 pm

Come on, Yan…welcome to the 2007 relaxed on-line shopping-mode! Considering, that you are “so” computer friendly…why shouldn’t you be among the 75% of the web-shoppers? It takes minutes to place an order…and you DO
    get a “thank you” reply for your order!! (no attitudes, no lines, no parking issues)
    Good Luck on your next shopping…and don’t forget to bookmark a reminders!