TurboTax discounts and promotions

Update: I have updated this list for 2007 tax season. Go to TurboTax online deals for an updated version.

It is the tax time again and as usual I will be in search for discounts on tax preparation software. As with everything else I try to do the taxes myself. It helps me to understand better how the system works and to make smarter financial decisions down the road.

Since I love to do everything online some time back in 1998 I did a research on what online tax preparation is the best and TurboTax by Intuit came out the winner. Ever since I really don’t have much of a choice (not that I complain) since TurboTax saves my time by exporting the last year data to the new return application and I would hate to have to enter all of it again if I had to switch.

So I fired my favorite bargain hunting tool and did a search on TurboTax deals. Here is a roundup of what I found. Most of these deals are really promotions for customers of other services or programs but judging from the last year many will work even if you are not a customer (I will mention exceptions).

Important: Make sure to start and finish your application using the same link. The offer will not work if you go to TurboTax directly to continue the application you started using one of the links below.

Turbotax promotion Federal State Total cost (*)
Provided by USAA 20% off 20% off Basic: $32.70
Deluxe: $44.70
Provided by Fidelity 35% off None Basic: $35.67
Deluxe: $45.42
Provided by Bank of America 25% off None Basic: $37.15
Deluxe: $48.40
State Farm customers:
logon to you account, look for
“FREE tax filing” on the left side.
Free Free Basic: Free
Deluxe: Free
Provided by Vanguard
(Vanguard customers only)
Varies Varies Varies
Provided by American Centrury
(American Century customers only)
20% off 20% off Basic: $35.67
Deluxe: $45.42
Provided by Comcast
(Comcast customers only)
30% off None Basic: $36.42
Deluxe: $46.92

(*)Total Cost assumes TurboTax prices before discount as follows: $14.95 - basic federal, $29.95 - deluxe federal, $25.95 - state

In addition Intuit is running a Free TurboTax promotion which is a whole different product. It is lacking many of the advanced features and will probably fit college students or other folks who are single and rent (vs own) their home. Click here to learn more about the limitations.

Do you know other TurboTax discounts? Add them in your comments.

Update 02/22: The price for online state tax return is now $29.95 (up from $25.95 at the time of writing this report)

11 Responses to “TurboTax discounts and promotions”

1. 1 Tony Jan 28th, 2007 at 7:52 am

Vanguard is offering various discounts for its investors who use TurboTax. Go to the lonk below:

2. 2 Tom Jan 28th, 2007 at 10:05 am

Not to suggest that you spend $50 to save $15, but if you have a Costco membership, they have a $15 coupon for TurboTax that goes through the end of the month. Considering their instore price is $35.98, I basically purchased TurboTax Deluxe for $20.

3. 3 Yan Jan 28th, 2007 at 1:51 pm

Tom: the Costco option sound very attractive (I even have the membership) however I am not a big fun of installing software on my computer that I know I will have to reinstall next year. Doing it online in a web browser seems to make much more sense.

Tony: thanks for the tip. What discount does Vanguard offer? Is it for the Vanguard customers or for everyone?

For advanced bargain hunters. Here is an interesting SlickDeals post in case you feel like experimenting:

4. 4 Yan Jan 28th, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Link to TurboTax at Costco (PC + Mac):

5. 5 Tony Jan 28th, 2007 at 4:08 pm

The Vanguard discount is for Vanguard.com users and it varies. The link in my previous post has a chart of the different prices. For small investors like myself, the discount on the Federal Deluxe version is $10.

6. 6 Yan Jan 30th, 2007 at 10:00 am

In case you prefer installing software on your PC here is a nice roundup where you can buy it:

7. 7 cindy@staged4more Feb 2nd, 2007 at 3:49 pm

i believe if you are state farm customers that you can use turbo tax for free.

cheers,

cindy@staged4more

8. 8 ispf Feb 11th, 2007 at 12:29 am

[...] Probargainhunter has a list of tips on TurboTax discounts and promotions. If you haven’t yet done your taxes and plan to use Turbo Tax, you should definitely check this out! [...]

9. 9 Lisa Feb 14th, 2007 at 5:52 am

American Century is offerring 20% off Federal and State for their investors who enroll in “eCommunications”.

10. 10 Yan Feb 14th, 2007 at 9:27 am

Lisa, thanks for the tip. I have added American Century to the list. However if you are not a customer I don’t see why you would want to enroll since USAA seems to give the same discount and no membership is required.

1. 1 WorkingUS.com Open Blog » Blog Archive » TurboTax Online 할인 Pingback on Feb 2nd, 2007 at 3:37 pm