Browse coupons from local grocery stores online

Every time I leave a grocery store I jam into my wallet a few coupons that the clerk at checkout hands out with the receipt. Some of them are good, some are not, but I rarely use any. To do so I would have to organize them and this can be a boring and time consuming task.

The team at MyGroceryDeals aims at taking the boredom out of your coupon clipping. It is an online database for grocery coupons from stores like Jewel Osco, Kroger and Cub Foods. You can search coupons, browse them by store and category, or simply make a shopping list and the website will pick matching coupons for you.

In addition you can check the dietary and nutrition information for each of the products or set an alert for substances you are allergic to (this feature is under development) and the website will warn you if you try to add a product to your list that has allergens matching your alert criteria.

WholeFoods Coupons

This is a huge step forward compared to the old-fashioned coupon clipping however it is not quite there yet so I could use the website for my weekend shopping when I buy grocery in bulk. There are two reasons:

• One of the smaller stores I regularly use is not in the database. This is expected. With limited resources the team has to pick which stores to include first, and the bigger, more popular chains are given a priority.
  • The user interface is slow and not very well suited for buying things in volume. For example I would like to be able to sort the coupons by discount, browse single store groceries by category, or narrow my grocery search to a single store.

Still if you just need to check if orange juice at your local Jewel Osco is on sale, or if 12-pack of Newcastle Brown Ale (my favorite :-)) goes for $11.99 instead of the usual $14.99 then MyGroceryDeals does the job just fine.

According to Ed Hladkowicz, a vice president at MyGroceryDeals, the team updates the data daily and covers over 4000 stores nationwide, so there is a good chance you will find most of your favorite stores in there.

I was somewhat surprised by the fact that MyGroceryDeals appears to be not affiliated with the coupon providers. On one hand it is good since it guarantees the team will not favor any particular store or brand. On the other hand it raises the question of how viable the business is. By my estimate advertisement and research don’t bring nearly enough revenue to cover the website maintenance.

Conclusion

I like the idea of centralized database for grocery coupons. It is very useful if you plan a short shopping trip and need to decide between two competing stores. The user interface is kind of 90’s and lacks certain important features which makes it hard to use for multiple items.

On a side note, for occasional coupon clipping, you might also want to check how Google solves the problem using their maps software.

Have you used MyGroceryDeals or another similar service? Tell us about it in your comments!

11 Responses to “Browse coupons from local grocery stores online”

1. 1 Mike G. Mar 8th, 2007 at 1:40 pm

http://www.thegrocerygame.com/ has gotten a lot of press.. I’ve never tried it.

As for their business model, I assume they will get paid by the printable coupon providers. I know it’s being done, it’s just not as wide spread as the affiliate channel is today.

2. 2 Yan Mar 8th, 2007 at 6:41 pm

I couldn’t find the terms of service and the latest reference to a media coverage on their Press Room page dates back to 2005. This is not a good sign.

3. 3 Alex Mar 9th, 2007 at 11:58 am

Excellent! I’ve been looking for something like that for awhile. Spasibo.

4. 4 Yan Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Pozhalusta (You are welcome!)

Sometimes I wonder if I should switch to Russian one day. It sounds like some wouldn’t mind. ;-)

What do you think?

5. 5 Alex Mar 9th, 2007 at 8:42 pm

Sure some wouldn’t mind. But then on the other hand – others would. ;) Мне и так и так хорошо… не знаю сколько русскоязычных тебя читают. Надеюсь на “ты” нормально?

6. 6 Yan Mar 9th, 2007 at 8:57 pm

Coincidently Mike (the previous commenter) is also Russian.
    На “ты” никаких проблем

7. 7 Dean Mar 10th, 2007 at 3:06 am

Cool site man, I never heard of this site but will check it out. Keep the great content coming.

8. 8 Will Mar 13th, 2007 at 3:56 pm

TheGroceryGame.com sells subscriptions to a weekly published list that matches local grocery store sales and coupons in the local Sunday paper. You can use other coupons, but the system is based on the weekly inserts. they publish unadvertised and advertised specials. they also do the math for the best purchase strategy for the item (size and quantity). they claim to have data that tells them when an item is at it’s lowest price of the sales cycle and the idea is to buy enough, usually 3 months or so, until the item goes on rock bottom sale again. The subscription is $10 for 8 weeks for one store. great time and money saver. I like the discussion boards for more shopping advice, people claim to cut their bills by 50%. Not for everyone, but if you are inclined to keep your money and are somewhat organized, the subscription is well worth it.

9. 9 frank May 12th, 2007 at 10:02 pm

Check out http://www.couponmom.com It’s a free service and updates all active coupons daily and also updates your local stores weekly sales in conjunction with the Sunday coupon inserts to find you the best deals each week. This is basically the same service as the grocerygame.com except this is free…

10. 10 jen May 22nd, 2007 at 7:04 am

http://www.couponmom.com is a good site to check out, however, it does not cover every store in certain areas. For instance, I have one grocery store available to me. It is a major store chain, not a little mom & pop place. It is not on the couponmom list. I would have to drive at least 25 miles to get to the store that is on the couponmom list. This store IS available on the http://www.grocerygame.com list, that is available to subscribe to, for a fee. I sure wish that my local store was available on couponmom….

1. 1 Not Made Of Money : Money Saving Roundup for March 23, 2007 Pingback on Mar 23rd, 2007 at 11:05 am