Meltdown at SunRocket

SunRocket logoThis development affects me directly and thousands of others who signed up to SunRocket VoIP phone service at their bargain rates. Om Malik at GigaOM writes that the situation at SunRocket corporate headquarters reached the point of no return.

The facts:

• February 2007 - SunRocket co-founders leave the company
  • July 3, 2007 - SunRocket lays off a fourth of its work force
  • As of July 5, 2007, LinkShare, the affiliate network handling SunRocket places the company on “hold.”
  • As of today SunRocket is not taking customer service or sales calls at their number (800) 786-0132

I have been a customer since April 2006. I signed up to 2 year contract for $199 and have been very happy with the service. It will be sad to see a good company go. There is an extensive discussion at SlickDeals forums with people speculating about what to do next.

Those of you who just signed up may consider filing a complaint with the credit card company. Others who have been with SunRocket for a while (like me) should be looking at alternatives (Vonage and Vita Talk are two I know about). In either case we should start looking at how to port our old numbers to another service provider. This will be item number one on my list when I return from my trip to Ukraine.

10 Responses to “Meltdown at SunRocket”

1. 1 kevin Jul 17th, 2007 at 9:32 am

I wanted to mention a helpful free directory service for all Sunrocket users. People are able to find you via your old Sunrocket phone number in the event that you can not transfer it. The website is called http://www.lookmeup.org

2. 2 XynamaX Jul 17th, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Glad I chose Vonage instead.. I did look at SunRocket for the cost efficiency, but something didn’t rub me right.

Chances are, the leftover customers will be picked up by another company if they sell the assets.

X

3. 3 Charles DeGuire Jul 17th, 2007 at 10:09 pm

I just renewed my service and they have fled with my hard earned money. Just unlocked my gizmo. Hopefully I won’t have to pay activation/shipping charge when I port my number. Other things to do http://www.recipedelights.com/sunrocket.htm

4. 4 Rajee Jul 18th, 2007 at 12:48 pm

Its really frustating to deal with these situations… We have to call and give our new numbers to all our nears and dears…till our old number get ported…

I signed up with the ViaTalk, as they promised to took over the remaining contract.. Lets see what happen to the SunRocket money which we alreay paid…

You all guys should complain to the FCC/ Credit card companies etc… this will help us in getting our money… These things in more detail can be found here…

Hope this helps… We really need to get rid from this ASAP.

5. 5 Yan Jul 19th, 2007 at 1:21 pm

Surprisingly my phone is still working even after gizmo reboot

6. 6 Dorky Dad Jul 19th, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Yan,

I feel for you (being halfway around the world and finding out your home telephone provider has gone out of service). Like you, I haven’t lost service, but you’ll probably want to try and temporarily move to Teleblend (you’ll find the link in an email from SunRocket or on the SD or FW forums) for their $12.95 service or some other provider prior to this Sunday to avoid the risk of losing your phone #.

7. 7 Yan Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:36 am

Dorky Dad: I am back to the States now. I don’t feel like staying with SunRocket which Teleblend essentially is. I think I will switch to Packet8 which is a VoIP company with solid record.

8. 8 Alex Jul 20th, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Welcome back, You probably aware of this, but here’s the interesting article on Consumerist – http://consumerist.com/consume.....280779.php

Hope you adjust well after your trip. It’s always quite the issue for me… ;)

9. 9 john kessel Aug 4th, 2007 at 2:00 am

I am amazed on hearing this. Though, they directed us to Packet8 or TeleBlend, I decided to go with Lingo. I know several satisfied customers of Lingo who are using them. I do not want to take a chance again. They have several business calling plans suitable for customers like me.

10. 10 Yan Aug 4th, 2007 at 12:47 pm

I switched to Packet8 (as a SunRocket replacement) and so far I am not happy with the service. My voice mail doesn’t work and I get dropped calls. Customer support is useless. Also, my LNP request is still pending. I hope things have turned out better for you