HD DVD is not a bargain

HD DVD is deadIt is all over the news today, Toshiba announced it will stop producing and marketing HD DVD players which essentially means the end of DVD-format war between Blu-ray and HD DVD.

It is good for Sony and its investors, the Sony stock was up 4.73% today on the news. What does it mean for the ordinary consumers and poor folks who own one of those Toshiba players?

Wal-mart announced last Friday they will not carry the product any longer. Other merchants will likely slash down the prices on HD DVD movies and players trying to clear the inventory. I already see it happen. Most of the High Definition DVD deals I posted on Buxr lately were HD DVD deals.

In the long run, the picture looks not good at all. There will be less and less movies released since the relative market share of HD DVD owners will keep shrinking and it will become impractical for the media companies to do so. Without movies your HD DVD player becomes a dead box.

If you own an HD DVD player - tough luck. Maybe you can still eBay it out for a fraction of the price. If you don’t own one - avoid buying it no matter how good the price may seem. Whatever you spend on it will be wasted money.

Photo via DB Techno

13 Responses to “HD DVD is not a bargain”

1. 1 Shawn Feb 20th, 2008 at 6:03 am

Saying that it is a waste of money is DUMB…For 85 bucks you can get the HD-A2 which is oustanding for upscaling DVDs..plus you get 5 free HD-DVDs. Who cares if the format is going to be gone, you get a cheap upscaler, and a few free movies.

2. 2 Yan Feb 20th, 2008 at 10:41 am

Check your TV manual. Most flat panel TV’s already have an upscale filter in them so you don’t need to buy a special player if you just want to watch normal SD DVD movies on your Hi-Def TV.

If you must buy an HD DVD compatible player, wait another month. The news just start to spread and come March or April you will be able to get it for a fraction of what you would pay now.

3. 3 Shawn Feb 20th, 2008 at 10:45 am

I find that most newish TV skimp on the scaler when it comes to upconverting SD Content….and the HD-DVD has a fantastic scaler, much better than most flat panels. All I’m saying is that for 85 bucks, it is as cheap as an upscaling DVD player, plus you get 5 free movies. Who cares if the moves are toast in 3 years when your player breaks. THEY WERE FREE…..

4. 4 Mike G Feb 20th, 2008 at 5:08 pm

I agree Yan, at this point there is no reason to invest in a HD-DVD. One idea is to get a Playstation 3, not only do you get a gaming system but you get what is probably the best and most up to date blu-ray player (the firmware updates via a wireless internet connection).

5. 5 Shawn Feb 21st, 2008 at 5:27 am

Once again…I’m not trying to light a fire under a dead format. I’m just saying for 85 bucks, if you are going to stick with Standard DVDs, no reason not to jump on a super cheap, high quality piece of electronics.

6. 6 JoeS Feb 21st, 2008 at 8:54 am

Give it another 6 months and all Blah-ray investments will be a waste too. HD digital downloads will kill optical disc demand. If you don’t believe it, I have a real nice Walkman to sell you !

7. 7 Mike G Feb 21st, 2008 at 9:07 am

Digital downloads have been available for a while, and they haven’t crushed the DVD market. I don’t see why they would hurt blu ray.

8. 8 Shawn Feb 21st, 2008 at 9:11 am

Digital downloads? Seriously…I like to “own” my content..give me some physical to home on to…it at least makes me feel like I own it. What if the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray had been competing download formats, and when HD-DVD lost, they turned off the server that validates whether you own the movie…making it unwatchable.

NO THANKS…I’ll stick with some sort of physical media.

9. 9 Yan Feb 21st, 2008 at 10:14 am

JoeS:

I didn’t look as far as 6 months with my blog post. My view on this is more pragmatic and all I am worried that people rush and buy HD DVD in bulk enlightened by recent price cuts. In the long run though, I am with you.

Shawn:

Do you still listen to music on CD’s or did you move on to other formats? I think for the majority adopting downloadable video is a plain matter of convenience. No one will want a DVD if it becomes as easy to watch a “non-physical” movie as is listening an MP3 file now.

As for the DVD’s, they will find their resting place in the hands of antiques collectors, next to VHS tapes. ;-)

10. 10 Mike G Feb 21st, 2008 at 10:25 am

Yan:

There is no convenient HD digital format to use at the moment. It’s just not the same as music in terms of file size and portability. I think ultimately it will all go digital, there is no question. But in the near future (at least 2 or 3 years), I think people will continue to rent and buy DVDs.

11. 11 JoeS Feb 21st, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Wow! Looks like I have some takers for my Dee-Lux Walkman !!!

12. 12 Mike G. Feb 21st, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Joe:

I’ll give you $10 for that Walkman :) Does it have am/fm also?

13. 13 andres Mar 13th, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Since movies are as low as $4.99 online, it makes sense to get some cheap classics to keep. for personal use I mean.

XBOX HD Player is down to $49, I think it’s a good deal, plus you can always sell it to other countries which will adopt HD.