Remember to remove late fee on your credit card

This is really a reminder to myself and anyone else who happened to miss a payment on a credit card. The typical fee is around $40 and many banks will readily remove it unless you are a repeat offender. This just happened to me last week with my Chase Freedom Plus and I was able to reverse the fee in one short phone call.

Steps to take if you missed a payment

1. Pay off the overdue balance as soon as possible
2. Wait for a few days till your payment is through
3. Call the service center and explain your situation
4. The officer will usually reverse the fee unless your are repeat offender

Now, since I always pay my balance in full I was also hit with an unusual for me finance charge (the interest on the balance). So far I have not been lucky to reverse that one… :-(

Did you have a recent late fee charge on your credit card? Did you try to remove it? Please share your experience in the comments!

13 Responses to “Remember to remove late fee on your credit card”

1. 1 JMW Jan 9th, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Yes I did. It was on my Capital One No Hassle Card. I always pay my balance in full every month as well. I took the amount out of my checkbook and filed my bill in the paid file, but FORGOT to make my payment online!! I had no clue it was overdue until my bill came the next month with a $35 late fee and $10 finance charge.

I called Capital One right away and told them what I’d done and they reversed both charges for me!! They’re great to work with.

2. 2 CCC Jan 16th, 2009 at 5:19 pm

I recently forgot to pay my Chase Amazon card. I have never been late on this card. I called and asked if the late fee could be removed. The answer was no. I cancelled the card on the spot. I suspect the agent helping me was having a bad day. I probably should have asked to speak to a supervisor.

3. 3 KHB Jul 27th, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I was 1 business day late on my Chase Amazon card. According to the terms/contract, I should get a 20 grace period and if my balance is under $100, a $15 late fee is charged after the grace period. Well, I was charged the full $29 late fee. I spoke to 3 different people (all of whom wouldn’t let me speak to supervisor and told me it would teach me a lesson to pay bills on time) after I paid the balance in full minus the late fee. I immediately cancelled the card. I have been told by the credit bureaus to report them to the FTC and BBB. If the late fee shows on my credit report, I can report Chase to the credit bureau. This is a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Act!!!!

4. 4 sweetyv@aol.com Aug 9th, 2009 at 10:51 am

MY SITUATION IS-
    I WAS trying to pay my dad’s chase credit card with my bank account. Seeing that it was 5 days prior to due date, I didnt want to take the chance of mail arriving with the payment late so I set up to pay account online.
    -Did the online transaction, and got the regular notification via email as “thank you for scheduling your online payment”.
    -So I didnt think anything of it and considered it paid and taken care of….
    Week later CHASE notifies that the transaction did not go through. I called and found out I had late fee and payment did not go thru fee totaling to $78.
    I called and found out that I was missing the last digit of my checking account number while setting up to pay credit card with checking account.
    -Told the rep that it was an honest mistake and the attempt to pay the card was made prior to the due date and if they can remove the fees. mention that we’ve had this account for 10 years, good standing, did not have any prior late payments this year.
    -REP DENIED COURTESY REMOVAL
    -First time, he said they dont do courtesy removals anymore, second time he says courtesy removals are a MYTH. and that the charges are valid.
    -refused to transfer to supervisor.
    -and that he would be glad to cl ose the account.
    THere is no human courtesy here and feel like these reps are given a scrip to stick with it. AND because late fees are pure profits, they would rather take an instant profit that than keeping a long term customer. What is the point of having a confirmation sent if the confirmation is meaningless. Where else can I escalate this other than this Kelly person that is supposedly the director of nothingness.

5. 5 KiKi Aug 28th, 2009 at 5:04 am

If you go to most company’s websites and/or financial prospectus, you can find various employees with various positions. Most of them follow the generic…first name/last name email format, or first initial/last name, you can try it all or figure it out and write and email and/or snail mail letter. Calling at a different time of the day may help as well. Another option is to call main corporate number or human resources and asked to be transferred. It works, trust me. I’ve tried all of these techniques.

6. 6 derausgewanderte Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Chase Amazon Card here. Submitted my payment online the last day, possibly after 4. Charged 29 late fee. I called and the person was like a rock. the answer was always no. I will call again and if that doesn’t work send a letter. Once I paid this off I will close the account. What a bunch of sharks.

7. 7 Joe Apr 18th, 2010 at 8:13 am

I work for Chase as a customer service rep and I will be first to say that I am sorry if you do get bad service when you call in. Fee removal with Chase IS a myth. Chase categorizes their customers in three ways, Best, Valuable, and Ineligible. If you are ineligible you cannot have your fee removed their is no way for a rep or a supervisor to do this.

The only way you will get a fee removed if you are ineligible is to say close my account. Don’t threaten it, just do it. Then if they say they need to send you to a specialist it means you are retention eligible. Retention can remove the fees for you. Basically if you are not retention eligible and ineligible for a fee waiver you cost the bank money.

Being a loyal customer and having good payment history isn’t good enough these days. You need to be moving a certain amount of money through the bank to be considered best. Asking for a supervisor does not work. They wont do it for you, this is not wal-mart. Trust me if we could remove a fee we would do it. None of us want to hear the bitching and whining that happens 99% of the time when you tell a customer no.

The way I go about it is how the customer treats me. If they are calm but adamant I will get my supervisor right away to talk to them to tell them no. If they are irate and being rude then I will transfer them to the supervisor line. Thus they have to wait on hold go through account verification and explaining their situation again. Thus ending with the same result of a no.

People also seem to mistake not getting their way with the advisor being rude and unwilling to help. I have been accused of this for not being able to remove a fee and its not the case. Also there is no scripting when it comes to removing a fee. And if you call in over and over we kno wthat because your account is notated each time and that you were denied a fee reversal. Any advisor or supervisor will immediately see that and follow suit. It’s not the advisor, the system simply will not allow a fee reversal of an ineligble customer.

8. 8 Joe Apr 18th, 2010 at 8:23 am

Capital One might be great to work with on fees but remember you payed them that back with your taxes in the form of a bailout.

9. 9 Keith May 21st, 2010 at 7:08 am

I was two days late on my Bank of America credit card. I called within a week and explained my situation and they credited my account the full $35 on the next statement.

10. 10 Diane Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I was about 3 hours late on my Chase Slate card…first time in my life. They charged me a $25 late fee. So I called them up to see if anything could be done, explained the situation, and without hesitation the women said that a credit would be on my next statement. Done :)
    Happy customer.

11. 11 chris Sep 27th, 2011 at 9:26 am

Think about it. X percentage of accounts get random late fees per month which generates X amount of late fees and X amount of interest rate increases. Spread it out – make sure bank customer rep’s get only X amount of the complaints per year (mix ‘em in with all the real late fees). No one is the wiser – the bogus charges get mixed in with the rest of business and a lot of innocents never notice the fee – and the bank has a profit generator like an oil well. “Yes sir, I see that it took 5 business days to process an electronic transfer. No sir, I have no idea how that happened. No sir, this hardly ever happens.”

12. 12 Jean Mar 19th, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I accidentally paid applied bank 40.00 instead of 46.00.it was am honest error and I tried to explain this several times.I didnt even realize I did this until they started harassing me via the phone. I called them and was told. Because I did not pay the 6.00 in 10 days a late
    Of 35.00 was being charged.well I didn’t not realize the error until they started calling conveniently 10 days later. I always paid on time and never ever been late nor missed a payment in 6 years. I paid the 6.00 plus the next month’s payment ASAP, but now I’m being threatened that another 35.00 will be charged and April’s payment is not even due. Do I have any recourse.

13. 13 Nathan May 15th, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Yup. I was late 5 days on my Amazon Store Card. Totally forgot about it, never happened before. I paid the bill and then I called customer service and the lady told me that the late fee that they charged me will be credited on my account on the next statement, because she sees that I am a loyal customer. It was that easy.