The top 10 things I hate about my T-Mobile G1

It has been a few months now since I replaced my HTC Wing with the famous G1 running Google Android. Fully functional internet browser on 3G network is invaluable when 90% of things you do on your phone is web related. I also love the Gmail and Google Maps integration.

Despite all the great features G1 offers there are quite a few things I wish could be fixed. Some of these are just annoyances while others are really important factors that make me wonder if I should have made that jump. If you are thinking of joining the ranks of G1 owners, read these notes and decide for yourself if G1 is good enough for you.

Things I hate about my G1

1. The keyboard has no ‘arrow’ keys - I use the keyboard a lot and lack of arrow keys is a big setback. I am supposed to use the little trackball instead but it is too sensitive to my liking and I always have problem with it if I just need to move the cursor by one space.
  2. There is no ‘today’ widget for the dashboard - I loved my old phone’s dashboard that listed today’s events and tasks. For some reason G1 doesn’t have anything like it and unless you go to the calendar (or configure a reminder) there is not way of knowing you have an important meeting coming today.
  3. Battery life is terrible - If you use the device for internet or other things, the battery is only good for an hour or so. Even with occasional use (5 minutes here and there) I have to put it in charger every evening or it will just die overnight.
  4. Market place has very few apps - From what I hear iPhone has many more applications at the marketplace compared to Android. This was somewhat expected. I hope things will change once Google opens it up to developers who want to sell their apps (so far all the applications are free).
  5. No file manager - I couldn’t find any file manager application that would let me move files around and edit text files. An app like that is crucial for my needs. A workaround so far is to connect the phone to a computer via USB and mount the file system as a Windows drive. You can then use your desktop computer for file management.
  6. Cannot record video - Android doesn’t come with any video recording software out of the box and I am still to find a Marketplace application that would do so.
  7. Proprietary audio jack - You can’t simply connect your stereo headset to the phone. Instead you have to use a special proprietary HTC converter. I understand this is done due to size limitations (the same jack is used for USB and power) sill I consider it a huge inconvenience.
  8. No support for A2DP on bluetooth - The absence of normal audio jack would not be a big problem if it wasn’t for the lack of support for A2DB. This is a bluetooth protocol that would allow you to stream stereo audio from your G1 to a wireless headset.
  9. No easy way to sync contacts - While I did find an application to synchronize my calendar, I am still out of luck searching for one to sync my Outlook address book. So far I just exported and imported my contacts via a CSV file.
  10. Ever hiding phone keyboard - Whenever you make or receive a phone call the screen is filled with details about the caller (or calling) party. If you want to use a keyboard (e.g. for touch tone operation) you have to expand a collapsible virtual keyboard. This is something I have to do a lot and I really wish I could configure it to stay always open.

The biggest problem I have with my G1 is not any of the things I mentioned above. It is a lack of good password & account management software. I used eWallet for Windows Mobile (by Ilium Software) on my Wing and there is simply no replacement for it on Android. This is a huge setback for me since after web and email this is the next primary function of my phone.

Do you have G1? Are you happy with it? What are some of the things you don’t like? Please share in the comments

10 Responses to “The top 10 things I hate about my T-Mobile G1”

1. 1 Alex Jan 23rd, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I guess that’s the price you have to pay to be an early adopter of new technology. 3G devices are power hungry in general. My no thrills Motorola dies faster if I start using 3G network.

2. 2 Scott Y. Jan 29th, 2009 at 7:45 am

Ha. We don’t even have G1 here in Australia, and the supposed-to-be 2nd Android phone, the Australian Kogan Agora, has its development suspended indefinitely…

However I am very happy with my Nokia E71. Arrow key? Check. Today widget? Check. Battery life? 2-3 days of 1-2 hours of 3G/HSPA usage. File manager? Check. Video recording? Got that. Audio jack? 2.5mm — not ideal but not too bad. A2DP on Bluetooth? Check. Contact/calendar sync with Outlook? Check. Keyboard? Permanent in upright position…

Now I just wish the screen is a bit bigger.

3. 3 Preston May 15th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Although I can’t be as Computer Savy as some, I can still list my disappointments.

#1, I had my phone for 3 weeks, set it down, walked away, came back and it vanished. I called for a replacement, with my insurance, it still cost me, $130.00. I understand a deductible, but that much!What’s the use in paying insurance every month, when you still have to pay ridiculous deductibles like this.

#2, Sometime I notice my internet, you tube, or Imeem, seems to freeze out of nowhere. I spoke to a Tmobile rep, who told me just to shut it off for a few seconds then try it again. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

#3,And one of the biggest problems, coverage? I had to find a Best Buy in Delaware, before we actually took to the expressway, I had all the information on my map with no problems via my G1. As we crossed into Delaware from Philadelphia, I was not able to access the map. That’s not totally true, in some spots it would work, but very very slowly. On the major highways, I was having major problems. I believe I pulled into a Wawa type gas station, and I was able to access the internet/map that way.

Other than that, i’m still getting my “feet wet” with my new toy, but for the most part, it does the trick. If I could get some assistance with some of these problems I’d be a much happier person.

4. 4 mikey May 29th, 2009 at 5:18 am

I just got my g1 yesterday and I hope I don’t get annoyed with it like the op, but then again when iv been using it I don’t find the ball too sensative, its perfect for me, no need for arrow keys, but that’s just my opinion, battery life seems fine and iv been using the net on it sinse I got it,but maybe the battery life will decay eventually, and as to all ur other issues I find that they wudnt relate to me, I think to be honest it depends on wat you brought the phone for, business use, or social use. May sound stupid, and then again u may see me on here next week stating my issues :]

5. 5 Rodney Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:48 pm

1. Use trackball it is not “too sensitive” if you find that it is then set the trackball settings via the settings in the menu.

2. No shit there is no “Today” widget. IT’S CALLED A CALENDER WIDGET DUMBASS!

3. Download a battry management application in the market since virtually all apps in the market are FREE, thats right i said it 99% of apps in the market are FREE.

4. The market has THOUSANDS of apps. Are you blind because this phone is not made for blind people dude.

5. Like you said “connect it to a computer, its not that hard, and im sure you can find a file management application in the market!

6. With the new “Cupcake” update which comes to your phone from T-Mobile servers AUTOMATICALLY has a video recorder embedded. It also comes with a virtual onscreen keyboard (which is best used in landscape mode{that means your phone is turned sideways) is a very nice plus along with the feature that lets you turn your phone sideways inside any application and it will automatically switch the orentation of your screen from portraite to landscape mode and many other nice features like battry management and new settings. If you havnt received the update yet dont worry it is coming in random batches and every phone is expected to be updated by the end of summer.

7. (see answer for #8)

8. Download the application called Gmote which streams audio/video from your phone to computer or vice versa via a network connection. You caln also connect any other device that connects to the same wireless network as your phone like XBox360.

10. Who cares about a “hiding” keyboard? All you have to do is set the ’screen timeout while in a call feature’ tap the button on the bottom of the screen onetime jackass!

There are TEN simple answers to your retarted dislikes of the Google G1 phone posted here.

Thank You for taking time out of your busy lives for me to resolve these idiotic dislikes.

And let me appoligize for the Jack Ass that made you NOT want to purchase T-Mobile’s Google G1 Cellular Smart Phone.

6. 6 pat Aug 28th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

a2dp support: yes

contacts sync: with gmail account

proprietary audio jack: it’s a mini usb, not audio jack, last i checked 3.5mm headphoens couldn’t charge ur phone

no file manager: try downloading one

no arrow keys: try losing some weight so your fingers aren’t the size of the screen.

no today widgit: who would want to port a windows mobile feature over? WM blows

cannot record video: yes it can

battery life: well i listen to streaming audio over cell towers and it took over 10 hours to die

market place has few apps: if by ‘few’ you mean a few thousand…

ever hiding keyboard: it hides it so you don’t push the buttons with your face

7. 7 Michael Sep 10th, 2009 at 10:38 pm

In response to Rodney and Pat.

While I don’t agree with all of the Original Posters problems you two guys seem like Android fanboys. Did you guys even take the time to read when this article was originally posted? Here I’ll post it for you since you are obviously unable to find it yourselves. “Published January 22nd, 2009″ When the author wrote this Cupcake was not even released yet. In January of 09 there were hardly any apps released for the marketplace, the phone could not record video and there was no A2DP support. As far as your advice to “Download a ‘battry’ management application” goes. What is a battery management pp going to do for you except show you what percent power you are at? It doesn’t magiclly give your battery more power.

Quote “writer of this article is an idiot who apparently doesn’t know how to use the phone” More like some readers of this article need to take time and consider when an article was published before they insult the author and make themselves look like the things they are caling the author.

I don’t agree with everything the author said about the phone. In fact I am very happy with my G1 but it is far from perfect.

8. 8 J-Bomb Oct 13th, 2009 at 6:22 pm

While Rodney and Pat are complete butf@#$ers, I do agree with them in point, you have to anticipate that not everything will be perfect when you buy a brand new device with a brand new OS, I just got my G1 about 2 weeks ago and I love it completely, there are very very few things that bother me and rather than say I *hate* them, I would just chalk it up to getting used to a new system, I don’t like the onscreen keyboard, but then again, that’s exactly why I got a G1… because it has the full qwerty as an option. Anyway, I hope the OP has found G1 bliss as I have now that most of those problems have been fixed.

9. 9 Tieerrraaa Jan 23rd, 2010 at 3:09 am

Learn how to use your phone before you complain! I love this phone and all the things you have listed are crazy

10. 10 plufkin Feb 22nd, 2010 at 12:18 pm

How can I get the maps to load (or load more quickly) in Google My Maps Editor on my T-Mobile G-1. Everytime I try to use that app it says “sorry can’t load the maps at this time. please try again later.”